Avoid common cooking mistakes

Avoid common cooking mistakes

If you are one of those who love to cook but end up making some common cooking mistakes, here are a few tricks that will help you feel like a Michelin-starred chef!

What do I do when my cheesecake forms a crack in the centre?
When baking cheesecake, place the tray on a small dish of water and put it in the oven. This will prevent it from cracking in the centre.

How do I prevent my cake from sticking to the tray?
In order to prevent your cake from sticking to the tray, always line the bottom of the pan with wax paper. This is apart from greasing the tray and its sides.

How do I avoid crumbling when it comes to a cake?
To keep a cake from crumbing, lightly frost layers, and then place the cake in the freezer untill it sets. Finish frosting the cake and let it sit in the fridge for an hour.

How do I check whether my cake is done?
To test for doneness in cakes, quick breads and cookies, insert a toothpick in the centre. The toothpick should come out clean and dry, or have only a few crumbs clinging. Yeast breads, rolls and loaves should be golden brown on top, sides and bottom.

How do I make my own brown sugar?
Mix one cup granulated sugar and two tablespoons of molasses. Cream it together until the sugar can be packed in a cup and measured like brown sugar.